Thursday, March 15, 2012

Great Books For Children

On days off from work, I sometimes accompany my wife to her job at her after school tutoring program which happens to be in the library of our old high school. When I’m there I sometimes entertain myself by going through the library’s thousands of badly categorized books. Not really to read. The objective is more to find something weird or funny which is not all that hard to do.

Can’t you just see lawsuits from a bunch of parents of stupid kids that read this book and then purposefully gouged their eyes out so that they could get a magic wand just like Jenny.

Is this really a guide on how to watch orangutans? Why would I need that? And look at that poor cat getting kissed so passionately.


In the 60’s and 70’s there seemed to be only one genre of children's book and that was the adventures of any given animal with a stupid name.


Be sure to feed your pudgy beaver lots of wood.


I remember seeing this book at school as an immature child and making fun of the name. Fifteen years later and nothing has changed.


Yeah, you can go ahead and leave me off of that guest list.


Well… shit.


Settle down children and I’ll tell a tale of silly soviet mishap.


I don’t want to be a pervert or anything but you see it, right? Right? I’m not just a dirty bastard trying to insert inappropriate things into everything?


What the hell?

No, seriously, what the hell?


There’s nothing wrong with the subject matter of this book but look at the faces.

Look at them!


Probably a book about liking solitude and why it’s wrong.


Boy I remember many a sleepless night as a 10-year-old wondering this exact thing. If only I had known about this book. There can’t be anything more edifying.


I stand corrected.

Holy shit! For real? An entire series of martial arts books for kids? That’s awesome.


Well kids, the best way to learn is through doing.


That cover is cringe-worthy. What the hell could be inside? Do I really want to know? I like how the white man is playing golf while the other less developed skin colors are off engaging in more simple-minded savage affairs.


The story of Timmy, his paste eating addiction and the people it hurts.