Saturday, February 2, 2008

iPods

Ipod is still an unbelievable phenomenon even after being released like seven years ago. I haven’t even gotten to my main point yet and I’ve already found another thing about iPods that annoys me. The Way you’re supposed to write the word iPod is “iPod.” What is that “i” even for anyway? Is it supposed to be referring to “you” in first person like the pronoun? If that’s the case then it should never be in lower-case. Then after that, the P in “pod” is capitalized. Have you ever seen a word with only the second letter capitalized? And then if you use it as the first word in a sentence like I did, what happens? Does the P remain capitalized creating two capitalized letters in a row? i.e. IPod is still an unbelievable… Do you make the P lower-case so that, that doesn’t happen? i.e. Ipod is still an unbelievable… Or are the laws of basic grammar overridden to correctly state the word? i.e. iPod is still an unbelievable… Oh God, it’s horrible! I can’t look at it!

Anyway, what I was really going to talk about was how iPod has a monopoly on the portable mp3 player market. It has such a large presence you’d seriously think it was the only mp3 player in existence. Why is that? I’m 99% sure it’s the advertising because if it’s the quality then the rest of the market must be lightyears away from creating a functional product.

When I first got my iPod mini, (in ‘04 I think), I thought I just got a defective one or something. The battery’s lifespan was drastically short, (about 45 minutes.) It also had a tendency to freeze. I wouldn’t even be able to turn it off. Sometimes plugging it in to my computer would reboot it but not always. A couple of times I had to wait for the battery to die so it would shut off. Also sometimes when I paused it and tried to turn it off it wouldn’t turn off. I’d have to wait like 10 seconds for it to get ready or something and then it would let me turn it off. I got a Nano for Christmas over a year ago. I thought this would be the end to all the problems. Well… the battery actually worked which was more than I could say for my cousin’s. His Nano’s battery was defective and had to be sent in to get a new one. The rest of the problems however, remained. It still freezes and still has that 10 second delay shit that drives me crazy. My old iPod mini became a mass storage device for a while until it decided that it didn‘t want me to have any of my files back. So now it’s a useless piece of junk. I guess I did get a defective one. They’re all defective.

My roommate came in a while ago and said his Nano was frozen and it was. The backlight was stuck on and everything. It stayed like that for a couple of hours and then just turned off by it’s self. What the hell? Why is this such a big problem still? Is it just so damn popular you don’t even have to fix the problems? How much more simple does it need to be for it to not do this. It has one function; play music, and it freezes. It’s not rocket science.